Doctoral student in strong implosion of shock waves.
School of Engineering Sciences at KTH
KTH is one of Europe’s leading technical universities and an important arena for knowledge development. As Sweden’s largest university for technical research and education, we bring together students, researchers and faculty from all over the world. Our research and education covers both natural sciences and all branches of technology as well as architecture, industrial economics, urban planning, history and philosophy.
Doctoral education subject: Technical mechanics
The production of high energy concentrations in gas and liquid through a stable focus of shock waves with star-like temperatures and extreme pressures is interesting not only in itself, but above all because of a broad class of closely related phenomena in nature, technology and medicine. These extreme conditions in a fluid can be achieved by strong imploding shock waves. Our goal is therefore primarily to further develop experimental methods for the production of strong converging shock waves using high voltage generated explosions of thin copper wires. These processes are investigated using advanced experimental methodology including high-speed visualization. Numerical and theoretical studies are planned in parallel with experimental attempts to achieve and study the compression process and the properties of the medium during these extreme conditions.
Tutorial: The Doctoral Student will be supervised by: Univ Senior Lecturer Michael Liverts and Professor Nicholas Apazidis.
- The opportunity to do a PhD in a dynamic, international research environment in collaboration with industry and prominent universities around the world Read more
- A workplace with many employment benefits and monthly salary according to KTH’s agreement for doctoral salaries.
- Doctoral education at a higher education institution that is active and supportive on issues such as working conditions, gender equality and diversity, and the study environment.
- Work and studies in Stockholm with proximity to nature and the sea.
To be admitted to doctoral education (Chapter 7 39 of the Higher Education Ordinance), the applicant must have basic eligibility:
- completed a degree at second-cycle level;
- completed course requirements of at least 240 credits, of which at least 60 credits at second-cycle level;
- acquired essentially equivalent knowledge within or outside the country.
In addition to the above, there is also a mandatory requirement in English equivalent to English B/6, read more here.
To succeed with your doctoral studies at KTH, you need to be targeted and persistent in your work. When selecting the applicants, the ability to:
- independently drive their work forward,
- be able to collaborate with others;
- have a professional approach and
- analyze and work with complex issues.
We are looking for outstanding candidates with a master’s or master’s degree in engineering physics, fluid mechanics or equivalent subject area. An area of specialisation in an area closely related to the project description is seen as an advantage. We are particularly interested in candidates with good background in experiments. Good knowledge of English in speech and writing is required to be able to communicate, publish articles in scientific journals and present lectures at international conferences.
After the eligibility requirements, great emphasis will be placed on personal characteristics.
Target exam: Phd
Information about admission and employment
Only those admitted to doctoral education may be employed as doctoral students. The total length of employment may not exceed that of full-time doctoral education for four years. An employed doctoral student may perform certain tasks in e.g. education and administration to a limited extent (no more than 20%) A new position as a doctoral student is valid for a maximum of one year, the position may then be renewed for a maximum of two years at a time.
- Offered SalaryNot Specified
- Career LevelNot Specified
- ExperienceNot Specified
- QualificationMaster's Degree(M.Sc.)
Related Jobs (3)
- Marketing Internship at Finetech Consultancy in Colombo, Sri Lanka on February 12, 2024 Internship
- QA Internship at Sydpro – Sri Lanka in Nugegoda, Sri Lanka on February 12, 2024 Internship