Executive (Teaching Lab)
The School of Biological Sciences invites applications for the position of Executive (Teaching Laboratory).
Planning, preparation and running of teaching laboratory practical sessions.
- Discussion with course coordinators on various practical details and safety aspects.
- Preparation of reagents and shifting of laboratory instruments for various practical requirements.
- Briefing to Teaching Assistants on key-points and safety for different practical sessions.
- Providing technical assistance to undergraduates.
- Trial runs and troubleshooting of new and existing protocols and ensure repeatability of experiment data.
- Preparation of modules’ budgets.
- Procurement of required consumables for Teaching Lab.
- Documentation of procurement records.
- Documentation of incoming and outgoing equipment and apparatus.
Upkeep of Teaching Laboratory facility, maintenance of equipments and chemical inventory.
- Regular lab housekeeping.
- Maintenance and cleaning of laboratory instruments before and after practical sessions.
- Equipment IC for repair, and maintenance.
- Inventory housekeeping of consumables and chemicals in teaching laboratory and stores.
- Fault reporting for infrastructure defects in Teaching Lab venues.
- Proper storage and recording of chemicals and biologics in accordance with OHSE requirement and Teaching Lab designated area with chemical inventory updates regularly.
- Proper disposal of generated wastes from practical sessions.
- Reinforcement of safety rules during practical classes to all stakeholders.
- First aid/Spill management/Fire drill participation as part of school’s ERP.
- Conduct and prepare Risk Assessments for various laboratories practices and experimental protocols.
- Adhering to University’s safety updates from safety representatives.
School supporting role
- Other admin and outreach programs.
- Diploma/Degree in life science or related course
- Entry level candidates or 1 year in educational background (laboratory setting is preferred) in Institution of Higher Learning / Tertiary Education.
- Basic knowledge on laboratory setting and material preparation.
- Familiar with laboratory techniques for work with molecular biology, biochemistry, mammalian/insect cell cultures and cellular biology.
- Basic equipment usage proficiency, such as light compound microscope, BSCs, centrifuge, pH meter, etc.
- Basic laboratory safety awareness.
- Communication skills to relate to various stakeholders.
- Adaptability to impromptu changes in laboratory requirement and oriented well with department direction.
- Able to work well with others and self-paced work.
- Responsible and accountable for own and team’s actions.
- Identify problems and rectify immediately.
- Analysis and reporting of lab data results and presentation to various parties.
The School of Biological Sciences seeks a diverse and inclusive workforce and is committed to equality of opportunity. We welcome applications from all and recruit on the basis of merit, regardless of age, race, gender, religion, marital status and family responsibilities.
Offered SalaryNot Specified
Related Jobs (136)
Human Resources Internship at Baker Tilly in Colombo, Sri Lanka on March 22, 2023 Internship
Software Engineer Internship at CreativeHub in Colombo, Sri Lanka on March 21, 2023 Internship
Software Engineer Internship at KochaSoft in Sri Lanka (Remote) on March 21, 2023 Internship
Software Engineer Internship at 3axislabs in Jaffna, Sri Lanka on March 15, 2023 Internship
Human Resources Internship at Echelon in Colombo, Sri Lanka on March 8, 2023 Internship