Postdoctoral Positions in Combinatorial Optimization
We are looking for outstanding junior researchers with an innovative mind-set and intellectual curiosity to strengthen and complement the research profile of the Mathematical Insights into Algorithms for Optimization (MIAO) group headed by Jakob Nordström (http://www.jakobnordstrom.se), which is active at both the University of Copenhagen and Lund University on either side of the Øresund Bridge.
The MIAO research group has a unique profile in that we are doing cutting-edge research both on the mathematical foundations of efficient computation and on state-of-the-art practical algorithms for real-world problems. This creates a very special environment, where we do not only conduct in-depth research on different theoretical and applied topics, but where different lines of research cross-fertilise each other and unexpected and exciting synergies often arise. Much of the activities of the group revolve around powerful algorithmic paradigms such as, e.g., Boolean satisfiability (SAT) solving, Gröbner basis computations, integer linear programming, and constraint programming. This leads to classical questions in computational complexity theory—though often with new, fascinating twists—but also involves work on designing and coding up clever algorithms that can exploit the power of such paradigms in practice.
We are fortunate to be part of the Algorithms and Complexity Section at DIKU, which is world-leading in algorithms and complexity theory (currently ranked 6th worldwide by CSrankings.org). DIKU hosts the Basic Algorithms Research Copenhagen (BARC) centre (https://barc.ku.dk/) joint with the IT University of Copenhagen, and we also have extensive collaborations with the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) and with Lund University on the Swedish side of the Øresund Bridge, as well as with our many visitors. We aim to attract top talent from around the world to an ambitious, creative, collaborative, and fun environment. Using the power of mathematics, we strive to create fundamental breakthroughs in algorithms and complexity theory. While the focus in on theoretical research, we do have a track record of surprising algorithmic discoveries leading to major industrial applications.
The University of Copenhagen was founded in 1479 and is the oldest and largest university in Denmark. It is often ranked as the best university in Scandinavia and consistently as one of the top places in Europe. Within computer science, it is ranked 2nd in the European Union (post-Brexit) by ShanghaiRanking.
Further information about the Department of Computer Science and the Faculty of Science can be found at https://www.science.ku.dk/english/about-the-faculty/organisation/. Inquiries about the positions can be made to Jakob Nordström at firstname.lastname@example.org or +46 70 742 21 98.
These are full-time research positions. Teaching of advanced courses is encouraged but not required. Travel funding is included, and we also expect to start receiving visitors again on a regular basis as the pandemic situation is now improving.
The starting date would ideally be in early 2022 but is flexible. This is a 2 year position.
The University of Copenhagen is currently expanding strongly in computer science. We expect to have tenure-track openings in computer science in the coming years, and welcome postdoctoral researchers interested in exploring such opportunities.
Applicants should have or be about to receive a PhD degree in a subject relevant for the research area, and should have a passionate interest in research. The successful candidate is expected to have a solid background in computer science and mathematics, and should have a strong research record as witnessed by publications in top conferences such as AAAI, IJCAI, SAT, CP, or similar, or in journals of a comparable quality.
The working language of the group is English, and knowledge of English is also fully sufficient to navigate life in Denmark in general. It might also be worth mentioning that Denmark routinely scores at the absolute top in rankings of quality of life such as, e.g., the OECD Better Life Index http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org .
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The application, in English, must be submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
- Curriculum vitae
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- List of publications including links to the applicant’s pages at DBLP and Google Scholar.
- Brief research statement with description of research so far and future research goals and interests, and with a short description of 3 selected papers
- Copies of the above 3 selected papers
- Information about references, who might be contacted later in the recruitment process after retrieving an explicit consent from the applicant.
The University of Copenhagen wishes for our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
The deadline for applications is 28 November 2021, 23:59 GMT +1.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process at https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.
- Offered SalaryNot Specified
- Career LevelNot Specified
- ExperienceNot Specified
- QualificationDoctorate Degree (Ph.D.)
Related Jobs (46)
- Senior Frontend Developer Jobs at Kognitiv Corporation in Colombo, Sri Lanka on February 26, 2024 Full-Time
- DevOps Application Engineer Jobs at Synopsys Inc in Colombo, Sri Lanka on February 26, 2024 Full-Time
- Data Engineer Jobs at Insighture in Colombo, Sri Lanka on February 26, 2024 Full-Time
- Software Engineer Internship at Almas Equities in Colombo, Sri Lanka on February 26, 2024 Internship
- Senior Game Developer Jobs at Matific in Sri Lanka on February 21, 2024 Full-Time
- Software Engineer II Jobs at Zebra Technologies in Colombo, Sri Lanka on February 21, 2024 Full-Time
- Senior Software Engineer – Java Jobs at Digiratina in Colombo, Sri Lanka on February 21, 2024 Full-Time
- Senior Software Engineer (iOS) Jobs at Aeturnum in Nugegoda, Sri Lanka on February 21, 2024 Full-Time
- Senior DevOps Engineers Jobs at Sysco LABS in Western Province, Sri Lanka on February 21, 2024 Full-Time
- Senior PHP Developer Jobs at Techlabs Global Private Ltd in Sri Lanka on February 21, 2024 Full-Time