Research Assistant, TRAIL
The Centre for Technology, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence and the Law (TRAIL) was launched on 5 December 2019. Its focus is to inform the debate on the legal, ethical, policy, philosophical and regulatory questions associated with the use and development of information technology (IT), artificial intelligence (AI), data analytics and robotics, in the context of the Fourth Industrial Revolution, through contributions by way of original thinking, research, writing and publications; and to collaborate with like-minded research centres around the world to further inter-disciplinary research in, and the development of, possible guidelines, standards, and solutions to the legal, ethical, policy, philosophical and regulatory issues associated with the development and application of IT, AI, data analytics and robotics in key industries.
The next stage of TRAIL’s development will involve more practical application, where TRAIL aims to identify appropriate use cases and develop technology for stakeholders in the legal industry (e.g. legal academics, court users, practicing lawyers, legal researchers). This can involve a broad range of technologies (robotic process automation, document assembly, etc.) and use cases (contract review, parsing unstructured text data in documentation, analytical tools for empirical legal research, etc.).
- A chance to work on cutting edge information technology issues and participate in their research with the leading minds and experts in the area, both in Singapore and overseas.
- Employment on a full-time renewable contract at NUS Law for one or two years, subject to satisfactory performance.
- A competitive remuneration package, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Eligibility to apply for research and conference fund allowances from TRAIL to support attendance at academic conferences and to conduct your own research under the supervision of TRAIL.
- Allocation of a workstation and access to other TRAIL resources.
This role involves a variety of work that includes researching, developing technologies, and preparation of teaching resources.
The duties associated with the position include:
- Researching for and collaborating in TRAIL’s research projects and initiatives;
- Conducting approved research based on the successful applicant’s own research agenda;
- Developing technologies that respond to the needs of stakeholders in the legal industry;
- Identifying and evaluating relevant technologies and developing resources that could be used to conduct teaching and instruction in law and technology related modules;
- Supporting the organisation of various events by the Centre, such as conferences and academic workshops;
- Identifying opportunities for collaboration with other industry stakeholders, and identifying new initiatives/projects that TRAIL can embark on.
You are expected to be in residence throughout the term of your appointment, subject to the standard NUS terms for annual leave. Remote work arrangements are permissible, subject to meeting the baseline requirements for onsite work to facilitate work engagement and promote camaraderie.
- Honours degree (or equivalent) in law;
- Interest in law and technology
- Interest in gaining technical skills in programming and statistics. Prior experience is very helpful but not necessary. The successful applicant should be language-agnostic, and not be confined to developing with certain languages/frameworks.
The required academic qualifications are as follows:
An appointment as a Research Assistant may be offered to an applicant who has a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in law and/or who has recently graduated with an LLB (Hons) with at least a good Second-Class (Upper) Honours (or equivalent) or an LLM with specialisation in technology.
Interested applicants are invited to apply and submit their applications directly at our NUS Career Portal. These must comprise:
1. Covering Letter
This should, inter alia, explain the reason(s) for your interest in the position. Note that you need not identify a preference for any one of the specific listed positions; this will be determined solely on the basis of your qualifications, background, and expertise.
2. Application Form
The downloaded form should be completed and submitted together with the other required documents. We regret that incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants may download the:
• Application form here
3. Curriculum Vitae
A curriculum vitae should be submitted containing complete and detailed information on your academic institutions, honours, awards, all publications to date, and all academic, research and professional experience (current and previous, including dates of employment and job descriptions).
4. Writing Sample
As the successful applicant is expected to develop his or her own research to a publishable standard, a writing sample (which should ideally be on some aspect related to your proposed research) must be included with the application. The sample must be submitted in Word format only.
5. Letters of Recommendation
The application must be supported by three references, with at least two references from academic referees. Applicants must arrange for their referees to send their references to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date.
6. Submission of Application Materials
Interested applicants are invited to apply and submit their applications directly at our NUS Career Portal.
7. Closing Date
The closing date for the receipt of applications is 21 May 2022.
8. Shortlisting and Interview
Shortlisted applicants should expect to be interviewed via skype and a date to be arranged. All applicants will be notified within two months from the closing date on the status of their application.
Offered SalaryNot Specified
Related Jobs (139)
Human Resources Internship at Baker Tilly in Colombo, Sri Lanka on March 22, 2023 Internship
Software Engineer Internship at CreativeHub in Colombo, Sri Lanka on March 21, 2023 Internship
Software Engineer Internship at KochaSoft in Sri Lanka (Remote) on March 21, 2023 Internship
Software Engineer Internship at 3axislabs in Jaffna, Sri Lanka on March 15, 2023 Internship
Human Resources Internship at Echelon in Colombo, Sri Lanka on March 8, 2023 Internship