Senior Data Scientist
For Unilever to remain competitive in the future, the business needs to continue on the path to become data intelligent. The Data & Analytics team will persevere to make Unilever Data Intelligent, powering key decisions with data, insights, advanced analytics and AI. Our ambition is to enable democratization of data, information and insights as a completely agile organization that builds fantastic careers for our people and is accountable for delivering great work that maximizes impact and delivers growth.
This Data & Analytics function endeavours to create clear accountability for all aspects of Data Strategy, Data Management, Information Management, Analytics, and Insights. We are accountable for impact of solutions, maintaining market relevance and minimising unnecessary overlaps in analytics products, ensuring simplicity and that our solutions better meet the needs of our users. We partner with the Digital and Data Legal Counsel to ensure that our Data Defence (Privacy, Governance, Quality, etc) is well structured and sufficiently robust to use data and AI correctly throughout the enterprise. We democratize information across the business, while supporting the culture shift required for data driven decision making.
Our vision is to make Unilever data intelligent, partnering with the business to power key decisions with data, advanced analytics and AI to accelerate growth. Our 5 strategies to achieve this are:
Accelerate & simplify access to relevant data, information and insights Build in-house, leading-edge data, information, insights & analytics capability Lead the data & insightsculture and careers to empower employees across Unilever Rapidly embed analytics products, solutions and services to drive growth Advance Information Automation at Scale.
The Data Scientist role sit within the Data Science Centre of Excellence (CoE) team in D&A. This team builds state of the art machine learning algorithms, maximising the impact of D&A’s solutions in driving enterprise performance. Typical initiatives include optimizing trade promotion investments, accurately forecasting customer demand, using NLP to glean insight on consumer trends from search data, and making individual assortment recommendations for each of the millions of stores that sell Unilever products. The role will work closely with a D&A functional team such as Customer Development or Supply Chain along with business stakeholders, addressing both large transformation programs and near-term business problems.
Main Purpose of the Job:
The Data Scientist improves business performance in the functional area of Unilever they serve, through the application of world class data science capability. They support delivery of data science on a range of projects.
- With guidance from the Senior/Lead Data Scientist, understand business challenges and the planned data science solutions
- Contribute refinements to the plan through your own data science knowledge
- Prototype experimental solutions, particularly machine learning models
- Where required, support the build of scaled solutions
- Facilitate industrialization and ongoing operation of solutions through well organised code, clear documentation and collaboration with ML Ops resources
- Interact with stakeholder teams, clearly communicating relevant data science issues
- Support your data science peers with technical advice in your areas of expertise
- Support the growth of D&A’s data science capability by contributing to activities such as tool and vendor selection, best practice definition, recruitment, and creation of training materials
- Build the reputation of D&A’s data science capability within Unilever and externally, through activities such as community engagement (e.g. Yammer) and presenting at team meetings
Provide ad-hoc & immediate support to the business when needed (for example Covid-19 crisis support)
Experience and Qualifications Required:
- Machine learning
- Statistical modelling
- Optimisation techniques and tools
- Python coding
- Data science platform tools e.g. MS Azure, Databricks
- Deep learning (and applications to NLP & Computer Vision)
- Collaborative development using Git repos
- Automated Machine Learning platforms
- Change Management
- Project Management
- Effective communication and collaboration skills
- Ability to influence laterally and vertically
- Minimum of B.S. in a relevant technical field (e.g. Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Operations Research); preferably a postgraduate (Masters or Doctorate) degree
- At least 3 + years building data science solutions to solve business problems, preferably in the CPG industry
- Experience with open source languages (eg. Python) and equivalent tools for distributed computing (PySpark)
- Experience deploying solutions in a modern cloud-based architecture
- Experience presenting insights to technical and non-technical colleagues
Offered SalaryNot Specified
Career LevelNot Specified