Senior Research Fellow (Food Toxicologist)
The Future Ready Food Safety Hub (FRESH) invites applications for the position of Senior Research Fellow.
The Future Ready Food Safety Hub (FRESH) serves as Singapore’s lead scientific platform under the Singapore Food Story R&D Programme, to bring together researchers, regulators and industry to build up Singapore’s food safety science and R&D capabilities to secure Singapore’s food supply and economic value proposition. FRESH is part of the Singapore Food Story R&D Programme (SFS), with partner organisations being the Singapore Food Agency (SFA), A*STAR and the Nanyang Technological University (NTU). https://www.ntu.edu.sg/fresh
As a key member of the FRESH core team, the Food Toxicologist will be responsible building an independent research program and capabilities in the area of hazard and risk assessment of novel foods and ingredients, with particular focus on in vitro and in silico testing methods to predict the toxicity and allergenicity of novel proteins and complex biological mixtures, as well as their integration into new generation risk assessment frameworks.
- Develop an independent research program in the area of novel food and ingredient safety, with an emphasis on in vitro and in silico toxicological approaches.
- Ensure integration and alignment of research areas with other FRESH staff, building cohesion and strengthening food toxicology as a core capability.
- Identify new partnerships and sources for collaboration related to specific areas of expertise.
- Act as an expert resource for government and local industry in the preparation of toxicological risk assessments for new ingredients and novel foods.
- Manage and mentor research officers and students working at FRESH.
- Promote FRESH within the Singapore Food Story and wider food production/ manufacturing ecosystem.
- Engage with local and international food companies on collaborative projects and secure funding for FRESH research activities (ideally 2-3 projects per year dependent on size and competitive grant funding).
- Actively apply for competitive grant opportunities to grow FRESH capabilities and support research themes.
- Establish yourself as an internationally recognized expert within your specific field and help FRESH grow as a national and regional centre of excellence in food safety science.
- Assist in FRESH day-to-day administration and shared laboratory operation tasks.
- Hold a PhD in a relevant discipline such as food toxicology, in vitro toxicology or food chemical risk assessment, and have at least 5 years postdoctoral experience in an academic or industrial research setting.
- Direct experience with the development and application of in vitro and/or in silico models is required.
- Direct experience in conducting food chemical safety (including biologics) and toxicological risk assessments is preferred.
- Experience working with government and industry organisations to validate and harmonise toxicological and risk assessment methods is an asset.
- Have a general understanding of the commercial and regulatory environment of the Singapore food industry, the ability to network with government and industry, as well as maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Have a strong track record of scientific achievements, acquired either in the private or public sectors, or in academia. This should also include funding from national and international agencies.
- Comfortable with a role that crosses academic, industry and regulatory thinking.
We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Offered SalaryNot Specified
Career LevelNot Specified
QualificationDoctorate Degree (Ph.D.)
Related Jobs (137)
Human Resources Internship at Baker Tilly in Colombo, Sri Lanka on March 22, 2023 Internship
Software Engineer Internship at CreativeHub in Colombo, Sri Lanka on March 21, 2023 Internship
Software Engineer Internship at KochaSoft in Sri Lanka (Remote) on March 21, 2023 Internship
Software Engineer Internship at 3axislabs in Jaffna, Sri Lanka on March 15, 2023 Internship
Human Resources Internship at Echelon in Colombo, Sri Lanka on March 8, 2023 Internship