User Experience Researcher-Google
- Bachelor’s degree in Anthropology, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Human Factors, Psychology, Sociology, or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with research design utilizing various methods including but not limited to usability studies, contextual inquiry, and surveys.
- Relevant product research experience, either in an end-to-end, usability, or generative setting.
- Master’s degree or PhD in a related field.
- 8 years of relevant work experience within User Experience, Human-Computer Interaction, applied research setting, and/or product research and development.
- Experience in a variety of product spaces, applied research and/or academic settings.
- Proficiency in communicating user research findings with cross functional partners to drive impact.
- Strong understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of different research methods, including when and how to apply them during the product development process.
About the job
At Google, we follow a simple but vital premise: “Focus on the user and all else will follow.” User Experience Researchers (UXRs) make this possible.
Google User Experience (UX) is made up of multi-disciplinary teams of UX Designers, Researchers, Writers, Content Strategists, Program Managers, and Engineers: we care deeply about the people who use our products. The UX team plays an integral part in gathering insights about the needs, attitudes, emotions, and behaviors of people who use our products to inspire and inform design. We collaborate closely with each other and with engineering and product management to create industry-leading products that deliver value for the people who use them, and for Google’s businesses.
As a User Experience Researcher (UXR), you’ll help your team of UXers, product managers, and engineers understand user needs. You’ll play a critical role in creating useful, usable, and delightful products. You’ll work with stakeholders across functions and levels and have impact at all stages of product development. You’ll explore user behaviors and motivations by conducting primary research such as field studies, interviews, diary studies, participatory workshops, ethnography, surveys, usability testing, and logs analysis.
The UXR community at Google is unique and will help you do your best work. You’ll have the opportunity to work with and learn from UXRs across Google through regular meetups, mentor programs, and access to internal research tools.User experience is at the forefront of how we create intuitive, innovative, and beautiful products that people love. We strive to learn and understand our users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions to gather insights that inform product strategy and design. Our UX teams include designers, researchers, content strategists, and engineers who are passionate about quality, usability, and simplicity. We work on collaborative teams to solve complex challenges and craft experiences that highlight our products’ unique capabilities and personalities. Our work touches billions while exemplifying a key principle that is core to Google’s philosophy: “Focus on the user and all else will follow.”
- Conduct independent research on multiple aspects of products and experiences.
- Collect and analyze user behavior through lab studies, field visits, ethnography, surveys, benchmark studies, server logs and online experiments (A/B testing).
- Work with Designers, Product Managers, Engineers and other UXRs to prioritize research opportunities in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Understand and incorporate complex technical and business requirements into research.
- Advocate research findings to diverse audiences through written reports and in-person presentations.
Note: By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location for this position from the following: Mountain View, CA, USA; Austin, TX, USA; Kirkland, WA, USA; New York, NY, USA; San Bruno, CA, USA; Seattle, WA, USA; San Francisco, CA, USA; Sunnyvale, CA, USA; Cambridge, MA, USA; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Madison, WI, USA; Atlanta, GA, USA
Offered SalaryNot Specified
Career LevelNot Specified
ExperienceMore than 5 Years
INDUSTRYComputer and technology