Associate Professor, Economics
- Melbourne campus at Burwood
- Full-time, continuing position
- Academic Level D $147,525-$162,267 p.a + 17% Superannuation
Deakin Business School is in the top 1% of business schools globally, holding both AACSB and EQUIS accreditations. These prestigious accreditations are awarded to business schools that meet strict standards of quality, academic and professional excellence, and demonstrate a commitment to ongoing improvement and innovation in their courses, ensuring our graduates are employable worldwide.
Our academics are engaged in both pure and applied research across the business disciplines and are focused on issues which are of relevance to government, business and community organisations. To this end, we actively seek partnerships with these organisations, other like-minded universities and alumni.
The Department of Economics at Deakin University has an opportunity for an established scholar to join the Department as an Associate Professor in Economics.
The successful candidate will undertake outstanding research, be passionate about delivering excellent teaching and provide leadership to junior academics and PhD students.
The position is open to any field, but preference will be given to candidates with research expertise in any area of Applied Economics. Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
The research of the Department of Economics has been rated “above world standard” by the Australian Federal Government’s Excellence in Research in Australia in 2018. Our research strengths lie in Economic Theory, Applied Economics, and Econometrics. The Department runs a PhD program with a significant coursework component, hosts several workshops and conferences every year, and enjoys a vibrant and stimulating research environment.
This is a full-time, continuing position based in Melbourne, the cultural capital of Australia, renowned around the world for its relaxed atmosphere, prominent sporting events and festivities, fantastic restaurants, parks and sports clubs, as well as its close proximity to beautiful landscapes and countryside.
Deakin offers an internationally competitive compensation package that may include a market loading. Salaries are complemented by employer contributions to retirement savings.
We also offer a generous relocation package that comprises assistance with housing search and children’s schooling search before the appointee arrives.
Key Selection Criteria include:
- PhD in Economics;
- Distinguished scholarly learning and teaching record in undergraduate and postgraduate programs, including innovative curriculum design and supervision at doctoral level;
- Internationally recognised research reputation underpinned by publications in high quality journals and funded research projects and/or grants;
- Successful engagement with research, community, and industry;
- Demonstrated success and passion for mentoring and leadership in teaching, research and administration;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a proven ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues, and a strong commitment to contribute to harmonious culture in the Department and the Faculty.
To be successful in this role, you will:
- Lead course design and innovative teaching practices integrated with industry and informed by high quality research.
- Deliver learner-centric teaching practices across different levels/modes of delivery.
- Publish in internationally recognised top-field and top general interest journals;
- Attract externally funded research projects linked with national and international funding bodies;
- Work collaboratively with teaching teams across the Department/ University to improve student learning outcomes.
- Contribute to the culture of collaboration and research and teaching excellence across the Department and the University.
- Provide effective mentoring to junior staff and PhD students
- Work harmoniously with the Department and Faculty leadership on day-to-day matters and to enhance the national and international standing of the organisation.
For a copy of the position description, please see below:
Please submit your resume, a short cover letter, the names of 3 referees and responses to the Key Selection Criteria. For a discussion regarding this position, please contact Professor Mehmet Ulubasoglu, Head of Department, at email@example.com.
Applications for this position close on 31st March 2022 however Review of the Expressions of Interest will start immediately and will be conducted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Suitable candidates may be flown to Melbourne for a campus visit. The start date is flexible but early-mid 2022 is preferable.
This role requires the incumbent to apply for and maintain a Working With Children Check (refer to Deakin’s Recruitment Procedure for further details).
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
We understand that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse, and we recognise academic careers may be placed on hold throughout many life circumstances. Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality, as opposed to the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.
Offered SalaryNot Specified
Career LevelNot Specified
QualificationDoctorate Degree (Ph.D.)
Related Jobs (192)
Creative Intern, Vacancies at ADA, Colombo, Sri Lanka. on May 13, 2022 Internship
Architect, Senior, Careers at Infor, Colombo, Sri Lanka. on May 12, 2022 Full-Time