Big data and machine learning for price prediction in residential real estate
The price of residential property is not only affected by hard characteristics such as its size and location, but also by softer characteristics such as its design and floorplan. Unfortunately, most of these softer characteristics are usually not recorded in standard data sets of house transactions. Property listings on platforms have descriptions that can provide information on such softer characteristics. For instance, listings usually describe the property and provide photos of most rooms. The listing platform can be used to find out which listed properties are most visited, thus indicating what market participants are looking for in the market. A data set with most of these variables will be available for the project.
The PhD project should apply machine learning and develop automated valuation models that generate reliable price predictions for properties that are currently on the market. It is expected that the successful candidate also works with data providers.
Applicants interested in this research project should submit a more detailed research proposal (of a maximum of 2000 words) that develops some ideas and shows understanding of the existing literature based on the outline above.
Informal inquiries can be made to Dr Martin Wersing with a copy of your curriculum vitae and cover letter indicating your interest in the project and why you wish to undertake it.
The successful applicant is expected to have (or be close to graduating with) an MSc in Economics/Econometrics or in a related area, e.g., a MSc in Statistics or Computer Science with prior knowledge of prediction. Applicants should have a strong interest or experience in data preparation, machine learning, and in the implementation of projects. The project requires excellent skills in programming (R, Matlab, or Python). General knowledge in urban and housing economics is desirable.
This PhD project has no funding attached and is therefore available to students (UK/International) who are able to seek their own funding or sponsorship. Supervisors will not be able to respond to requests to source funding.
To submit an application please visit https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/postgraduate-taught/apply.php
-Apply for ‘PhD in Real Estate’
-State the name of the lead supervisor on your application
-State the name of the project
- Offered SalaryNot Specified
- Career LevelNot Specified
- ExperienceNot Specified
- INDUSTRYComputer and technology
- QualificationMaster's Degree(M.Sc.)
Related Jobs (35)
- Quality Assurance Engineer Jobs at H huex Pvt Ltd in Colombo, Sri Lanka on November 3, 2023 Full-Time
- Quality Assurance Lead Jobs at OREL IT in Colombo, Sri Lanka on November 3, 2023 Full-Time
- Full-stack PHP Developer Jobs at Scopic Software in Sri Lanka on November 3, 2023 Full-Time
- Senior Software Engineer Jobs at QrioMatrix in Colombo, Sri Lanka on November 3, 2023 Full-Time
- Senior Software Engineer Jobs at CreativeHub in Colombo, Sri Lanka on November 3, 2023 Full-Time
- Senior Software Engineer Jobs at Saberion in Colombo, Sri Lanka on November 3, 2023 Full-Time