Considering the rapid evolving operational context and consequent increase in humanitarian needs across Sri Lanka, IFRC has launched an emergency appeal to address the needs. While the complex emergency is constantly evolving and potentially becomes protracted, the operational plan incorporates additional interventions to support early recovery, including psychosocial support, cash assistance to reduce the socio-economic impact and to increase the capacity of SLRCS to respond. In view of the scaled-up IFRC-supported operation, the capacity of IFRC Colombo Sub Office for Sri Lanka to support SLRCS in coordinating these responses is being reinforced to address the protracted nature of the crises. There is a need to ensure smooth transition to medium-term personnel, which aligns planning and support needs both across SLRCS Departments and in branch level interventions. It is in this context that the IFRC Sri Lanka Sub Office is seeking an Operations Manager. The Operations Manager will provide leadership to personnel responsible for the Sri Lanka Civil unrest and economic Crisis Complex Emergency Response and the for the COVID-19 response operation, ensuring that these positions are coordinated in supporting SLRCS in delivering core services in accordance with its mandate. The incumbent will also be responsible for membership coordination on emergency operation aspect and COVID-19 operations. In addition, the Operations Manager will ensure participation of IFRC – together with SLRCS – in coordination platforms established by external agencies including the Humanitarian Country Team (HCT). Reporting to the Head of Delegation in the Country Cluster Delegation in Delhi, the Operations Manager provides the technical lead to ensure the optimal coordination and direct management of resources required for the effective and efficient implementation of the emergency operations.
Job Duties And Responsibilities
• Negotiate, plan and mobilise IFRC resources in support of the NS in the assessment, planning, and implementation of the emergency response.
• Supervise IFRC technical leads to ensure they work closely with the managers of relevant NS departments in all related programming roles and responsibilities, providing advice and recommendations that carefully consider local capacity and context.
• Along with the SLRCS , build alliances and partnerships with other emergency actors to enhance the implementation of the emergency plan of action. Support, the SLRCS to enhance their position vis a vis the national and international coordination mechanisms. Support IFRC technical leads to develop programme approaches which strengthen and develop the National Society’s structures, capacity and performance; analyze and understand their current strengths and weaknesses and to ensure provision of necessary technical and material support particularly in relation to the ongoing crisis.
• Promote and assist the integration of humanitarian priorities and interventions within all relevant programming divisions in the SLRCS .
• Ensure that the response is based on frameworks and approaches that are consistent with or have considered national and international standards and guidelines, as well as IFRC policies, procedures and tools.
• Assist the SLRCS, Movement and external partners in the achievement of planned outcomes and deliverables following quality standards, in a timely fashion, and within budgets.
• Ensure a robust and coherent monitoring of the situation and its potential evolution, and ensure that humanitarian interventions are responsive to current and emerging needs and threats.
• Work with the regional DM or DCPRR Unit to develop, implement and review contingency planning for identified threats in operational areas, as well as the development of capacities within the SLRCS for emergency response.
• Support the SLRCS in setting up the structure needed to ensure that all components of the response are identified, planned and carried out in a coordinated, collaborative and integrated manner with Movement and external partners.
• Support the SLRCS in developing and implementing operational standards, tools and procedures that ensure quality, consistency and sustainability of emergency response interventions. Together with the SLRCS and the Head of Country Cluster Office, represent IFRC in coordination meetings and forums, involving national authorities, national and international agencies, donors and other partners in the country. * Support the SLRCS in establishing an effective information management system for the response, including statistics.
• Work with PMER leads in IFRC and the SLRCS to ensure that planning and reporting requirements are met in a timely and efficient manner.
• Advise on the need of additional human resources and support deployments in coordination with the Country and Regional IFRC offices, HR departments and/or surge desk.
• Ensure sound financial management is applied to all Federation-assisted programmes within the SLRCS, that budgets are monitored and any problems identified and solutions implemented in timely and effective manner.
• Manage operational budgets to ensure that expenditure relating to IFRC-supported operations is within income and approved ceilings, in compliance with IFRC finance procedures and in line with donor earmarking requirements.
• Support SLRCS to implement COVID-safe programming measures to protect personnel and affected communities
Job Duties And Responsibilities (continued)
• Actively work towards the achievement of the Federation Secretariat’s goals * Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles * Perform any other work related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager
• University degree in relevant area * Basic Delegates Training Course or IMPACT. FACT, ERU, RDRT training
• At least 5 years of disaster management experience, including managing staff. * Field experience in coordinating and managing disaster and crisis management projects and activities especially population movements. * Work experience with RC/RC * Experience in project cycle management including proposal development, budgeting and reporting, monitoring and evaluation * Good knowledge and relevant work experience in the regional context
Knowledge, Skills and Language
• Fluently spoken and written English * Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish or Arabic)
Competencies and Values
• Values: Respect for diversity; Integrity; Professionalism; Accountability * Core competencies: Communication; Collaboration and teamwork; Judgement and decision making; National society and customer relations; Creativity and innovation; Building trust * Functional competencies: Strategic orientation; Building alliances; Leadership; Empowering others
Offered SalaryNot Specified
INDUSTRYBusiness, consulting and management.
Related Jobs (186)
Intern – Marketing Internship at Brandix in Biyagama, Sri Lanka. on October 5, 2022 Internship
Executive Assistant, Careers At OnCredit Sri Lanka, Colombo, Sri Lanka. on October 4, 2022 Full-Time
Intern – Marketing Internship at Brandix in Colombo, Sri Lanka. on October 4, 2022 Internship