PhD position in Social Anthropology
There is a vacancy for a PhD position at the Department of Social Anthropology. The position is for a fixed-term period of 4 years, of which 25% will be dedicated to teaching, supervision and administrative tasks at the Department.
About the project/work tasks:
The PhD position is part of a project titled, “Habitable Air: Urban Inequality in the Time of Climate Change.” The project, which begins in 2022 and ends in 2026, is funded by the Research Council of Norway’s Program for Groundbreaking Research. The project focuses on climate change and unequal distributions of pollution. Preference will be given to applications that address such topics as: air pollution, climate change, energy, politics, cities, health, gender, race, social and economic inequality. Preference will be given to applications that focus on regional areas of South Africa and/or the United States. A research interest in Germany may also be considered.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a master’s degree or the equivalent in Social Anthropology or related Social Science disciplines. The degree must be completed by the application deadline
- The requirements are generally a grade B or better on the Master thesis and for the Master degree in total
- As an applicant you should be able to work independently, have a considerable work capacity as well as an enthusiasm for research.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to the department for an interview.
The teaching language is Norwegian or English.
About the PhD position (applies to university PhD positions):
The duration of the PhD position is 4 years, of which 25 per cent of the time comprises obligatory duties to teaching, supervision and administrative tasks at the Department. The employment period for the successful candidate may be reduced if he or she previously has been employed in a PhD position. The working environment for this position will be the Department of Social Anthropology, University of Bergen. The successful candidate is expected to be based in Bergen during the project period (except for fieldwork-periods).
As a PhD research fellow, you will take part in the PhD program at the Faculty of Social Sciences, UiB. The program corresponds to a period of three years and leads to the PhD degree. To be eligible for admission you must normally have an educational background corresponding to a master’s degree with a scope of 120 ECTS credits, which builds on a bachelor’s degree with a scope of 180 ECTS credits (normally 2 + 3 years), or an integrated master’s degree with a scope of 300 ECTS credits (5 years). Master’s degrees must normally include an independent work of a minimum of 30 ECTS credits. It is expected that the topic of the master’s degree is connected to the academic field to which you are seeking admission. Applicants whose education is from another country than Norway, need to also attach a ceritifes translation of the diploma and transcript of grades to English or a Scandinavian language, if the original is not in any of these languages.
We can offer:
- Salary at pay grade 54 upon appointment (Code 1017) on the government salary scale (equivalent to NOK 491 200 per year). Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A cover letter including a brief account of your research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of them must be the main advisor for the master’s thesis or equivalent thesis
- Project proposal
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
- Relevant certificates/references
- A list of academic publications
- Academic publications that you want to submit for assessment (including your master’s thesis or equivalent)
- If you have a master’s degree from an institution outside of the Nordic countries, or a 2-year discipline- based master’s degree (or the equivalent) in a subject area other than the one associated with the application, you may later in the application process be asked to submit an overview of the syllabus for the degree you have completed
A research proposal of 5-8 pages must accompany the application. The proposal should present the topic, the research problem(s) and choice of theory and methods. The proposal should also include a progress plan for the different parts of the project. Admittance to the PhD programme will be based on the research proposal. Preference will be given to proposals that address such topics as: air pollution, climate change, energy, politics, cities, health, gender, race, social and economic inequality. Preference will be given to proposals that focus on regional areas of South Africa and/or the United States. A research interest in Germany may also be considered.
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge following the link on this page marked “Apply for this job”.
Closing date: 23 January, 2022. The application has to be marked: 21/20138
Applications submitted without a project description or applications sent as e-mails will not be considered. Only submitted documents will be subjected to an expert assessment.
Offered SalaryNot Specified
Career LevelNot Specified
Related Jobs (165)
Creative Intern, Vacancies at ADA, Colombo, Sri Lanka. on May 13, 2022 Internship