PhD Research Fellow in Borehole Geophysics
There is a vacancy for a PhD Research Fellow in borehole geophysics at the Department of Earth Science at the University of Bergen. The position is for a fixed-term period of 3 years with the possibility of a 4th year with compulsory other work (e.g. teaching duties at the Department) and will be jointly advised by Prof. Morten Jakobsen (the main supervisor) and researchers at NORCE (co-supervisors).
This position is associated with the center for research-based innovation DigiWells: Digital Well Center for Value Creation, Competitiveness and Minimum Environmental Footprint (https://DigiWells.no). The center is establishing a collaborative environment which will consist of researchers at NORCE, experts from industry, professors from UiS, NTNU and UiB and a total of 17 PhD students and postdocs.
We hope that the employed candidates will fit in and contribute to this multidisciplinary environment. Depending on the research interests the PhDs can also collaborate and visit the center’s international partners: Stanford University, TU Clausthal, University of the Basque Country, and UT Austin. Furthermore, the employed PhD candidates will have opportunity and responsibility to show-off their research to the industrial partners of the center: Aker BP, ConocoPhillips, Equinor, Lundin, Total, Wintershall Dea. We also have a collaboration with the Department of Imaging Physics at TU Delft. Finally, the center is promoting innovation, which means that your research results might be taken into use in the near future, contributing to the digitalization and the green shift.
About the project/work tasks
The overall goal of this PhD position is to develop methodologies for real-time modeling and inversion of geophysical well-logs with special focus on borehole electromagnetic data. This includes the development of fast solvers for the Maxwell’s equations as well as nonlinear inversion algorithms.
In addition to work within electromagnetic geophysics, the candidate is expected to contribute to the development of novel workflows for joint inversion of different data types in the context of geosteering.
The work tasks will be adapted to the background of the candidate as well as the developments in the centre. Possible directions of work can include the application of rock physics models, Bayesian inversion methods and machine learning algorithms in the electromagnetic context.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- Applicants must hold a master’s degree or equivalent education in geophysics or a related discipline like physics or applied mathematics; preferably acquired recently. Master students can apply provided they complete their final master exam before 1 March 2022. It is a condition of employment that the master’s degree has been awarded.
- Experience from modelling and/or inversion of geophysical data is a requirement for this position. Candidate without such experience will only be considered if they have strong skills within mathematical modelling and a strong motivation for this position; sufficient to start working on relevant geophysical problems within the first six months.
- Good programming skills are required and should be verifiable.
- Applicants must be able to work independently and in a structured manner and demonstrate good collaborative skills.
- Applicants must be proficient in both written and oral English.
- Personal and relational qualities will be emphasized.
- Ambitions creativity and potential will also count when evaluating the candidates.
About the PhD position:
About the PhD Research Fellow
The duration of the PhD Research Fellow is 3 years with the possibility for a 4th year, consisting of 25 % compulsory work (e.g. teaching responsibilities at the department) distributed over the employment period. The 4th year is contingent on the qualifications of the candidate and the teaching needs of the department and will be decided by the head of department upon appointment.
The employment period may be reduced if you have previously been employed in a qualifying post (e.g. research fellow, research assistant).
About the research training
As a PhD Research Fellow, you must participate in an approved educational programme for a PhD degree within a period of 3 years. The deadline for applying for admission to the PhD programme at The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences is 2 months after you start your position or after the start of the research project that will lead to the PhD degree. It is a condition that you satisfy the enrolment requirements for the PhD programme at the University of Bergen.
We can offer:
- a good and professionally stimulating working environment, including a comprehensive network of international collaborators.
- salary at pay grade 54 (Code 1017/Pay range 20, alternative 10) in the state salary scale. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 491 200. Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position.
- enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- a brief account of the applicant’s research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- the names and contact information for two referees. One of these should be the main advisor for the master’s thesis or equivalent thesis
- transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor’s and master’s degrees. If you have not yet completed your master’s degree, please submit a statement from your institution confirming the expected date of award of your master’s degree. Your master’s degree must be documented with transcripts and/or diploma, alternatively a confirmation from your institution on completed degree and your grade, by 01.03.2022.
- relevant certificates/references
- approved documentation of proficiency in English (if required, cf. English language requirements for PhD admission)
- a list of any works of a scientific nature (publication list)
- any publications in your name
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.
Offered SalaryNot Specified
Career LevelNot Specified