Professor/Associate professor in Tourism Management
The University of Stavanger invites applicants for a position as Professor/Associate Professor in Tourism Management at the Faculty of Social Sciences, The Norwegian School of Hotel Management. The position is open for appointment from March 2022.
The subject area for the position is Tourism with focus on destination & tourism planning, and development.
The hired candidate will primarily teach and supervise students at Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD level within the subject area, conduct research and disseminate research results within relevant research areas at the department, and contribute to the development of partnerships with businesses.
It is expected that the hired candidate initiates, provides external funding to, leads and conducts major research and development projects. The hired candidate will also lead the development and use of digital and diverse learning methods, innovation, value creation based on results from research and academic work.
If there are no applicants with sufficient competence for employment as Professor, it may be relevant to offer employment as
The general job description for Professors and Associate Professors at UiS gives a more detailed account of relevant duties.
We are seeking a Professor with a high level of scientific expertise in accordance with established professorship standards within the subject area and the university’s general criteria for employment as a Professor. For employment as Associate Professor, a PhD or equivalent competence within the subject area is required.
We look for someone with broad international research experience in tourism related to both the private and public sectors. Further specialization in destination planning and development includes e.g., geographical, governance, forecasting, regional cooperation, sustainability, policy-making perspectives is preferrable.
You must be able to document active, ongoing research at a high academic level and have the potential for future high-level research within the subject area.
It is expected that you have a reflective and conscientious attitude towards your own teaching and supervision. For employment as Professor you must be able to document quality development in teaching and supervision, broad supervisory experience (preferably at master’s and doctoral level) and participation in the development of educational quality in the academic community.
Furthermore, you must be able to document pedagogical and didactic skills relating to higher education, and basic skills in planning, evaluation and development of teaching and supervision. If you do not meet the competence requirement, the university may consider to offer employment with a requirement to complete a university pedagogy course within a period of two years from employment. The course will be provided by the university.
Norwegian is the language mainly used at UiS. The working and teaching languages are Norwegian (or other Scandinavian languages) and English. It is expected that you can teach and supervise in Norwegian (equivalent to level B2), or another Scandinavian language, within a period of three years from accession. If required, you will be offered a Norwegian course paid for by the university.
- varied duties in a large and exciting organization that plays an important role in society
- an ambitious and rapidly developing work community. We strive to include employees at all levels in strategic decisions and promote an informal atmosphere with a flat organisational structure
- colleague-based guidance programme during your first year of teaching at UiS, NyTi
- salary in accordance with the State Salary Scale, l.pl 17.510, code 1013 Professor, NOK 800.000-977.000 and code 1011 Associate Professor, NOK 630.000-715.000 gross per year. A higher salary may be considered in special cases. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- automatic membership in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund, which provides favourable insurance- and retirement benefits
- favourable membership terms at gym and employee sports club, SiS sportssenter
- employment at an Inclusive Workplace organisation which is committed to reducing sick leave, increasing the proportion of employees with reduced working capacity, and increasing the number of professionally active seniors
- Hjem-jobb-hjem, discounted public transport to and from work
- as an employee in Norway, you will have access to an optimal health service, as well a good pension, generous maternity/paternity leave, and a competitive salary. Nursery places are guaranteed and reasonably priced.
- relocation programme
- language courses: Look up “language courses” under employment conditions
Apply for the position online via the “Apply for the position” link on this page. Your application letter, relevant education and work experience as well as language skills must be registered here. In the application letter, you must state your competence and motivation for the position.
The following documents must be uploaded as attachments to your application:
- CV with a full summary of your education and experience
- a pedagogical portfolio with a professionally based description and discussion of your teaching and educational competence as well as relevant documentation that supports this, see guidelines for assessment of educational competence
- complete list of academic publications with information on where they are published
- up to 15 academic publications wich are pivotal to your research output
- transcripts and certificates, and other documentation that you consider relevant
Applications are evaluated based on the information available in Jobbnorge on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The documents must be made available in either a Scandinavian language or English. If the total size of the attachments exceeds 30 MB, they must be compressed before upload.
Please note that information on applicants may be published even if the applicant has requested not to be included in the official list of applicants, in accordance with Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act. If your request is not granted, you will be notified.
UiS only considers applications and attachments registered in Jobbnorge.
- Offered SalaryNot Specified
- Career LevelNot Specified
- ExperienceNot Specified
- QualificationDoctorate Degree (Ph.D.)