Senior Application Security Engineer
Senior Application Security Engineer you will be responsible for testing, designing, and implementing security controls and solutions driven by CISO and company policies and standards to reduce the risk to Pearson VUE and its customers.
The Application Security Engineer is a member of the Cyber Security team and is responsible for reviewing security designs, implementing technical security controls, and designing security solutions. They will help implement the information security design, enforce compliance with security policies and controls and function as a technical security expert on various projects. This is a mid to senior technical role.
The Application Security Engineer will:
- Security controls and best practices
- Work closely with product and platform teams to implement security controls with a focus on Application Security
- Plan, implement, upgrade and monitor security measures related to application security
- Work closely with functional-area architects, engineering, and security specialists throughout Pearson VUE to ensure adequate security solutions and controls are in place throughout all VUE systems, cloud systems and platforms to mitigate identified risks sufficiently, and to meet business objectives and regulatory requirements.
- Provide security subject matter expertise on application security and help project teams comply with enterprise and IT security policies, industry regulations, and best practices.
- Assess and understand Pearson VUE current security posture and future architecture, providing a viable solution path to bridge the gap.
- Design security configuration standards, procedures, and guidelines for platforms such as baseline security configurations and hardening guides.
- Communicate security risks and solutions to business partners and IT staff.
- Coach developers on application security
- Recognize, adopt, and instill industry leading practices in security engineering throughout the organization
- Correctly balance security risk and product advancement
- Secure DevOps/Secure SDLC
- Identify and execute on opportunities to automate internal, cloud and platform security controls.
- Provide subject matter expertise on, and conduct in-depth security reviews of software applications
- Identify and propose process improvements and identify opportunities for new processes and procedures to reduce risk.
- Incident Response
- Support security incident response as required.
- Research, designs, and advocates new technologies and security products that will support security requirements for the enterprise and its customers, business partners, and vendors.
- Contributes to the development and maintenance of the information security strategy.
- Evaluates and develops secure solutions, based on approved security architectures.
- Security Tooling
- Administer, configure, and support security tools
- Assist with adoption of new/existing security tools as needed
- Create/support integrations of security tools into central analytics system
- Embrace a culture of continuous service improvement and service excellence.
- Stay up to date on security industry trends.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS, or equivalent technology discipline
3+ years minimum software development required (Java, .NET)
Working knowledge of application development tools, techniques, and platform technologies
Familiar with OWASP Secure Coding Practices
Familiar with Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) processes and concepts
Familiar with REST API technology and methods
Ability to develop scripts in Python (or comparable language)
Experience in OOAD, agile processes, design patterns
Some experience with relational database platforms such as MSSQL, MySQL, NoSQL databases.
Some proven ability in security process and organizational design.
Current understanding of Industry trends and emerging threats.
Knowledge of incident response methodologies and technologies.
Experience working in agile environment highly preferred
Well-rounded background in application security.
Experience implementing security controls in a global enterprise IT environment.
Experience driving a culture of security awareness.
Professional IT Accreditations (CISSP, CISM, CCSA, CCSE, JNCIA, CCNA, CCIE Security).
Experience in creating design documents, performing code reviews
Desire to expand knowledge in many development languages, applications, and tools
Proven ability to quickly learn new processes and tools, business domains and technical applications
Ability to think technically and analytically
Ability to understand philosophy of architecture
Ability to assimilate information, distill knowledge, apply experience, and provide solution alternatives and recommendations
Must have strong time management skills – including ability to work well under pressure, plan, set priorities, adapt to change, and meet established timelines
Must be a self-starter and detail-oriented
Must have a “positive” and energetic demeanor
Effective written and verbal communication skills
Creative problem-solving skills
Experience with the following tools (Required)
Java or .NET
Web Services (SOAP/REST)
Requirements & analysis experience
OWASP Top 10
Static code security testing (SAST) tool experience
Dynamic Application Security Tool (DAST or IAST) experience
Experience with the following tools (Preferred)
The anticipated starting salary range for Colorado-based individuals expressing interest in this position is $110,000 – $135,000. Benefits available to eligible employees can be seen at: https://pearsonbenefitsus.com/
Learning is the most powerful force for change in the world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose – to help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help people build their skills and grow with the world around them. We are the world’s leading learning company. Learn more at pearsonplc.com.
Pearson believes that wherever learning flourishes, so do people. We are committed to being an anti-racist company in everything we do. We value the power of an inclusive culture and a strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the norm, and all individuals are supported in reaching their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace where talent can learn, grow, and thrive.
To learn more about Pearson’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, please click here: http://www.pearson.com/careers/diversity-and-inclusion.html
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other group protected by law.
Offered SalaryNot Specified
Career LevelSenior Executive
INDUSTRYComputer and technology
Related Jobs (11)
IT Helpdesk Intern, Opportunity At Daraz, Colombo, Sri Lanka. on October 18, 2022 Internship
IT Services Intern, Opportunity At Circles.Life, Colombo, Sri Lanka. on October 18, 2022 Internship
IT Executive, Vacancies At Finetech Consultancy, Colombo, Sri Lanka. on October 12, 2022 Full-Time