Senior Cloud Engineer – Remote
Description – External
As the global leader in electronic testing, Pearson VUE (www.pearsonvue.com) validates the skills and knowledge of millions of individuals every year. Our customers’ high-stakes certification, licensure, admissions and other credentialing exams help people advance in technology, government and professional careers, as well as attain educational growth. Pearson VUE offers proctored exams through the world’s largest network of test centers in addition to testing in online and unproctored environments.
Pearson VUE is a business of Pearson, the world’s leading learning company with global-reach and market-leading businesses. Pearson is listed on both the London and New York stock exchanges (UK: PSON; NYSE: PSO). For more information, visit www.pearson.com.
We are the world’s learning company with more than 24,000 employees operating in 70 countries. We combine world-class educational content and assessment, powered by services and technology, to enable more effective teaching and personalized learning at scale. We believe that wherever learning flourishes so do people.
In this exciting and fast-paced role you will help Pearson VUE in its move to the Cloud in a DevOps culture. You will be responsible for design, implementation and support of the Pearson VUE cloud infrastructure in Azure. You will work closely within the Development and Operations organizations to support the design, automation, and deployments of applications and infrastructure.
You will design and implement the continuous delivery and cloud deployment framework. You should have technical experience in building infrastructure and applications for scalability, resiliency, availability, and recovery. A key portion of your job will be to help move from a traditional infrastructure deployment model to an infrastructure as code model with automation and monitoring via DevOps.
You should have excellent communication and influencing skills and the ability to work across teams to create optimal business solutions. You should have the ability to effectively communicate with cloud computing vendors and service providers.
The anticipated starting salary range for Colorado-based individuals expressing interest in this position is $120,000 – $140,000. This position is bonus eligible. Benefits available to eligible employees can be seen at: https://pearsonbenefitsus.com/
Delivery of Cloud infrastructure strategies aligned with business objectives with a focus on Cloud migrations
- Provide leadership in infrastructure migration methodologies and techniques including mass application movements into the cloud including:
- Design, implementation and support of infrastructure as code
- Research new cloud technologies and prototype solutions that can be leveraged to decrease costs and increase performance
- Assess and compare cloud native PaaS with cloud-enabled traditional infrastructure
- Mentor existing staff on cloud computing best practices and technology to drive cloud adoption
- Design of cloud infrastructure with a focus on Azure using industry best practices
- Provide code reviews of team members work.
- Perform Quality Assurance (i.e. Testing) on other team members development activities.
- Participate in agile activities (daily standups, backlog refinement, iteration planning, retrospectives, etc.)
- Contribute to team’s backlog by creating stories and defects as they arise
- Take ownership of assigned tasking
Participate in on call rotation (approx. once every 6 weeks)
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
5+ years of relevant software development experience, solution design and technical architecture experience.
- 2+ years’ experience in cloud computing based services architecture.
- Experience automating infrastructure in a cloud environment using tools such as Chef or Ansible
- Strong understanding across cloud and infrastructure components (server, storage, data, and applications) to deliver end to end cloud infrastructure architectures and designs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Solutions focused, self-motivated and curious
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly and efficiently
- Programming experience (Java, C#, etc.)
- Shell scripting (PowerShell, Python, Bash, etc.)
- Excellent technical analysis and problem solving skills
- Exceptional communication, documentation and reporting skills
- Must be able to interact effectively with employees at all levels of the organization
Able to work in a fast-paced environment and be flexible to meet time demands without compromising quality
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Container technologies such as Docker
- Build automation tools such as Packer
- Building continuous integration and delivery pipelines with tools like Jenkins or Team City.
- Designing outage less systems using practices such as Blue / Green or Rolling Deployments
- Experience with Windows and Linux-based operating system configuration, automation and management
- Experience in a managed Kubernetes implementation (KubeSpray, EKS, KOPS)
- Experience with monitoring and analytical tools (Splunk, New Relic)
- Certificate Management (client certificates, server certificates, certificate authorities, etc.)
- Familiarity with cloud based disaster recovery and HA system development
- Infrastructure experience (firewalls, load balancer, AD, DNS, etc.)
- Networking experience
- Agile exposure
- DevSecOps (Cloudvisory, Tigera, etc.)
- DNS management
- Continuous infrastructure testing
- F5 Big IP Load Balancer
- GIT based Source Control Systems
PagerDuty (or other equivalent monitoring tools)
Equal Employment Opportunity
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Learning is the most powerful force for change in the world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose – to help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help people build their skills and grow with the world around them. We are the world’s leading learning company. Learn more at pearsonplc.com.
Pearson believes that wherever learning flourishes, so do people. We are committed to being an anti-racist company in everything we do. We value the power of an inclusive culture and a strong sense of belonging. We promote a culture where differences are embraced, opportunities are accessible, consideration and respect are the norm, and all individuals are supported in reaching their full potential. Through our talent, we believe that diversity, equity, and inclusion make us a more innovative and vibrant place to work. People are at the center, and we are committed to a sustainable environment and workplace where talent can learn, grow, and thrive.
To learn more about Pearson’s commitment to a diverse and inclusive workforce, please click here:
Pearson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and a member of E-Verify. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other group protected by law.
- Offered SalaryNot Specified
- Career LevelSenior Executive
- Experience5 Years
- INDUSTRYComputer and technology
- QualificationBachelor's Degree