Senior Software Developer
The Adaptive Learning(ALE) team has an opening for a Senior Java Engineer. Since not every student learns the same way and at the same rate, we build systems that makes studying more efficient and more effective for every student. Adaptive learning works by assessing student performance and activity in real time. Then, using data and analytics, it personalizes content to reinforce concepts that target each student’s particular strengths and weaknesses. Our systems are cutting edge, REST/GraphQL based services (in Spring boot), written in Java and Scala that utilize Cloud hosted (RDS, Graph) DB persistence and near-real time analytics over a SQS feed, all deployed in an AWS cloud infrastructure. The ALE team operates in a DevOps fashion, meaning we not only develop software but we are also responsible for deploying and maintaining it in production, from auto-scaling servers to instrumentation of our applications. Sound interesting? This exciting growth area needs a talented Engineer to join its ranks who would be a bold thinker and innovator. We motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the boundaries of technology — and each other to surpass these boundaries — we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Design, code, unit test, and deploy multi-tenant, highly available software components using a variety of open-source technologies
- Actively participates in requirements, architecture, and design meetings
- Enjoy a healthy technical debate but know how to collaboratively solve problems that move everyone forward
- Communicate well in person, over email, and via instant messenger within the team and with other development teams to improve quality, advance standards, and handle issues.
- Work efficiently and collaboratively in an Agile (Scrum or Kanban) team environment
- Directly and meaningfully impact the experience of students, institutions, and professors
- Improve and maintain internal monitoring, instrumentation, and overall visibility of our learning systems.
- Be self-directed and be able to prioritize your own workload.
Be willing to learn new skills whether they are directly tied to software development, software testing, server maintenance, or web application release and delivery.
As an organization and team, we spend a lot of time together and finding the right fit is as important as technical skills and previous accomplishments. The right person will be:
- Patient. You will need to work directly with several application teams, product owners, and management levels to develop project strategies and deliver code.
- Smart. Problem solving is more than just knowing the code; it includes knowing how to approach unique problems.
- Analytical. You will need to be able to analyze requirements, code, and issues to devise strategies and understand solutions.
- Flexible. There will be times you’ll need to work long hours, and take your work home with you if/when needed.
- Eager. Not only willing to learn but quick to accept new challenges and opportunities.
- Creative. Providing new ways to approach problems and build solutions is what this team is all about.
Motivated to Share knowledge – We are building learning teams that take the knowledge gained from each experience they go through and use it to better the team’s performance. Our team members need to embrace this and use every success and failure to improve the collective intelligence of the group.
Qualifications – External
The ideal candidate will be detail oriented, self-directed, self-motivated, with a strong capacity for working successfully and flexibly with members across the organization.
- 7+ years of core Java development experience
- Experience and practice with Java Unit testing frameworks
- REST API design experience with JSON preferred
- Experience with NoSQL design / development a plus
- Experience and interest working in cloud based environments preferred
- Experience with Gitlab, Maven, Debian, Jenkins, and automated deployments a plus
- Solid foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in OO design and architecture, basic data structure, JVM concurrency, thread-safe design, scaling out of service platforms
- Easy to work with, stays confident and optimistic in face of challenges
- Strong communications skills and the ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical people and work with a variety of internal and external development groups
The anticipated starting salary range for Colorado-based individuals expressing interest in this position is $80-130K. This position is eligible to participate in an annual incentive program.
Benefits available to eligible employees can be seen at: https://pearsonbenefitsus.com/
Equal Employment Opportunity
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and a member of E-Verify. All qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Learning is the most powerful force for change in the world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose – to help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help people build their skills and grow with the world around them. We are the world’s leading learning company. Learn more at pearsonplc.com.
- Offered SalaryLKR 150,000 - LKR 200,000
- Career LevelSenior Executive
- ExperienceMore than 5 Years
- QualificationBachelor's Degree
Related Jobs (21)
- Quality Assurance Engineer Jobs at H huex Pvt Ltd in Colombo, Sri Lanka on November 3, 2023 Full-Time
- Quality Assurance Lead Jobs at OREL IT in Colombo, Sri Lanka on November 3, 2023 Full-Time
- Full-stack PHP Developer Jobs at Scopic Software in Sri Lanka on November 3, 2023 Full-Time
- Senior Software Engineer Jobs at QrioMatrix in Colombo, Sri Lanka on November 3, 2023 Full-Time
- Senior Software Engineer Jobs at CreativeHub in Colombo, Sri Lanka on November 3, 2023 Full-Time
- Senior Software Engineer Jobs at Saberion in Colombo, Sri Lanka on November 3, 2023 Full-Time