SENIOR TECHNICAL ARTIST
Senior Technical Artist | Art | London – 3 days work from home.
We’re Hutch Games, a mobile games developer & publisher with studios in central London, Dundee and Canada. Our mission is to build the most diverse and engaged automotive gaming community on mobile. Our games have been played by over 300 million people, with new titles in development.
We believe in putting our people first. Here you can make games without sacrificing quality time with family and friends. We strive to ensure our people are happy and healthy.
Our teams are small and empowered, they have the independence to take on creative and technical challenges together, to work collaboratively, to make great games and have fun along the way.
We believe in; Looking after our people, small empowered teams, complete transparency, test, learn repeat, community at the core and the freedom to focus on what truly makes a difference to our players.
We’re driven by our players! Come and Join the mission!
Hutch is looking for an experienced Technical Artist to join the team in our Central London studio. We believe in small autonomous teams that have a lot of freedom and responsibility. As such, our Tech Artists are true generalists. Having the opportunity to write shaders, develop tools, work on some particle effects or even animation. Working on mobile free to play titles means that we never know what is on the horizon, new events and features bring with it exciting opportunities to try new things and work across lots of different areas.
A Tech Artist at Hutch should be someone who is adaptable and willing to work on a wide variety of challenges. We are happy to hire someone who needs to brush up in a few areas. You should be keen to help as the bridge between the artists and coders, being able to work iteratively within the mobile constraints and being up for the challenge of working on a variety of tasks.
At Hutch we pride ourselves on our friendly and caring culture. The role requires collaborating closely with all members of the team and the ideal candidate will be comfortable facilitating conversations across disciplines.
- This is a varied role that could cover lots of different areas, below are some examples of tasks you might encounter:
- Creating performant new technologies to realise the vision of the Art Director and to satisfy the requirements of the project – these technologies are varied and often require calling on a combination of skills.
- Experience creating shaders for a wide variety of applications.
- Creating a variety of performant particle effects for both environment and UI applications.
- Creating and/or implementing environment, UI and character animations.
- Be responsible for the performance of the game, including frame-rate, memory usage, boot time and binary size, and advise the team on the best way to build optimal assets.
- Creating Unity editor tools to improve the workflow for the art team.
- Maintaining a holistic understanding of all aspects of the technical art for a project, including the render pipeline, asset loading/unloading, UI structure and flow, etc.
- Maintaining asset discipline within the team (making sure naming convention, folder structure, asset size guidelines, etc. are being adhered to).
- Previous experience as a Technical Artist within the games industry
- Prior experience working on mobile titles
- Experience using Unity in a professional capacity with a strong understanding of how to get the most out of the engine for mobile platforms
- Experience creating custom shaders
- Experience with scripting
- Experience with 3D packages, preferably Maya
- Experience with Photoshop
- Although our roles are quite generalist in nature, if you have worked as a Technical Artist within games, please apply, we are quite open to the level of experience for this role
- Experience creating performant particle effects for mobile platforms, preferably in Unity
- Environment animation skills – UI and character animation/rigging skills are desirable but not essential
- Strong C# script writing skills
- Experience creating custom editor tools
Life at Hutch
Our HQ is in the heart of Shoreditch, central London with other offices in Dundee and Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia. We’re an agile, creative team with people at the core of our values. We reward our employees with
- Enhanced Maternity (18 weeks) and Paternity leave (6 weeks)
- Flexible working hours
- Remote working 3 days per week (Everyone is working remotely until it is safe to go back into the office)
- Excellent salaries
- Private health care
- Access to mental health initiatives such as private mental health coaching
- Weekly Yoga Sessions
- Support to learn, develop and progress within Hutch
- Personal Project Development Days
- Free snacks and drinks
- Lots of social events, game launch parties, Friday night drinks and much more
We value diversity and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all suitable applicants. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
- Offered SalaryNot Specified
- Career LevelSenior Manager
- ExperienceNot Specified
- QualificationBachelor's Degree
Related Jobs (1)
- Senior Designer Jobs at Brandix in Colombo, Sri Lanka. on September 21, 2023 Full-Time