Civil Engineer / Geotechnical Engineer (SCE-DOD-FS-2021-113-LD)
Are you a civil or geotechnical engineer with outstanding negotiation and organizational skills? Do you enjoy achieving high-quality results? Do you like to build effective collaborations with your colleagues and contractors? Make your contribution to exciting and dynamic civil engineering projects within the most unique particle physics laboratory in the world: CERN. Take part!
A post for a Civil or Geotechnical Engineer is open in the Site and Civil Engineering (SCE) Department to contribute to civil engineering preparation activities within the Future Circular Collider (FCC) Feasibility Study. These preparation activities will have specific focus on the proposed 100 km tunnel. The Feasibility Study will investigate the technical and financial feasibility of such facility. The underground geological and geotechnical site investigations associated with this feasibility study are planned to commence in the very near future.
- Contribute to the optimization of the placement and layout of the FCC tunnel and its related infrastructure
- Identify high-risk areas for the preferred placement and preparation of the site investigation contracts
- Prepare and manage site investigations in the areas that are considered of high risk for the civil engineering construction with specific focus on the underground civil engineering infrastructure
- Contribute to the design of tunnels, shafts, and subsurface infrastructures taking into account the project functional requirements in particular those necessary for the technical systems interfacing with the underground civil engineering
- Update specifications and requirements for the tunnel and associated underground infrastructures upon selection of the favored tunnel placement
- Prepare survey requirements for the geodetic network
- Write and present technical documents and reports
- Ensure that project budgets and schedules for the site investigations are maintained
- Ensure that all safety measures are taken on the worksites in order to respect the ALARA principle
Master’s degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of geotechnical engineering, civil engineering or a related field.
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the domain of civil or geotechnical engineering
- Proven experience in managing site investigation contracts
- Proven experience in the design and/or execution of major underground civil engineering projects: tunnels, caverns, shafts
- Proven experience in the management and technical oversight of large civil engineering projects including the review and approval of contractor/consultants’ proposals
The following will be considered as an asset:
- Experience in site investigation works (geophysics and drilling campaigns)
- Experience in the design and/or construction of underground facilities
- Design of underground structures
- Risk management: understanding the principled and application of risk management techniques
- Project management: understanding the principled and application of project management techniques
- Technical knowledge of site investigation works and the ability to manage site Investigation works
- Managing Self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen
- Achieving Results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind
- Communicating Effectively: utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved
- Solving Problems: anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan
Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and speak both languages in professional contexts. Ability to draw-up technical specifications and scientific reports and to make oral presentations in English.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN’s mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 15.11.2021 at noon.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas
- Interventions in underground installations
- A valid driving licence is required
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: SCE-DOD-FS-2021-113-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Civil Engineer
Offered SalaryNot Specified
Career LevelNot Specified
INDUSTRYConstruction / Building / Engineering
Related Jobs (85)
Postdoctoral Fellow in Nanomedicine Opportunity at UNSW in Sydney on November 28, 2021 Full-Time
Research Fellow (Fiber Optic Sensing) Jobs at NTU Main Campus, Singapore on November 28, 2021 Full-Time
Research Fellow (Chemical Engineering) Jobs at NTU Main Campus, Singapore on November 26, 2021 Full-Time
Research Fellow (Artificial Intelligence) Jobs at NTU Main Campus, Singapore on November 26, 2021 Full-Time
Research Fellow (Civil Engineering) Jobs at NTU Main Campus, Singapore on November 26, 2021 Full-Time
Research Fellow (Electrical Engineering) Jobs at NTU Main Campus, Singapore on November 26, 2021 Full-Time