Internship – Product Technical Operations
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning and to our talented team who makes it all possible. We are now transforming Pearson to accelerate our activity in digital learning, education services and emerging markets. This will enable us to make a lasting impact in helping to solve some of the most important challenges in global education.
The Operations Engineer receives requests for problem escalation from product support staff, service alerts from monitoring systems, or reports from internal staff. The engineer determines the severity of issues (triage), prioritizes issues, performs diagnosis of system and software components to identify root cause, and takes or recommends corrective action for resolution.
The Operations Engineer communicates with product support staff and may occasionally communicate directly with sales staff and customers. The engineer will work with other Operations team members, systems and database administrators, software engineers/QA, technical product managers and vendors to clearly state problems, troubleshoot, diagnose and/or resolve complex technical issues. The engineer also works with product management teams to provide advice on critical enhancements for reliability of Pearson software and communicates details of product/platform releases to the Operations team.
This position requires participation in On-Call rotation
- Working with diverse web-based applications and learning management systems in a production, mission critical environment diagnosing complex user, application and/or systems problems
- Acquiring a deep understanding of Pearson platform applications at the operational level to become the subject matter expert for other departments including product management, engineering, product support and others
- Responding to unplanned incidents and developing means to reduce downtime and minimize customer impact. This position requires participation in On-Call rotation
- Working with various teams to prepare for supporting new and/or highly integrated products and platforms
- Writing excellent documentation to enable other team members and to aid new hire training to easily learn and support our platforms
- Monitoring the daily operations of the enterprise application environment by analyzing information and recommending short and long term resolutions to issues including the creation and maintenance of scripts and automation tools
- Working with external vendors to support systems as required
- Participating in disaster recovery / business continuity planning
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Ability to effectively multi-task on a variety of daily work assignments in a challenging, fast-paced work environment
- Excellent business communication, organizational and time management skills
- Experience with documentation of complex issues, processes, procedures
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to understand and clearly explain technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong team player with the ability to work independently
- Motivation to learn and share expertise of new skills and technologies
- Ability to resolve support issues are in a timely and efficient manner
- Knowledge of various computer systems (tools, services, software, etc.)
- Ability to work in Windows environment
- Ability to decipher detailed deployment plans
- Experience scheduling and preparing appropriate resources to participate in deployments
- Capacity to seek new opportunities based on business needs and company growth
- Creative problem solving skills
- 2+ years experience, BSc in computer science or other technical discipline
Pearson’s corporate values are Brave; Imaginative; Decent and Accountable. It is crucial that these values resonate with you and you are able to embody these values. You will be naturally positive, adaptable, proactive, organized and comfortable operating in a changing and ambiguous environment.
In exchange for your hard work you will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package, potential eligibility for an annual bonus, supportive peers and management team, opportunities to participate in sporting and social events, career development, training programs and other benefits. Other benefits include transportation services, potential eligibility for Pearson Shares (save for shares scheme), and OPD / Insurance / Medical.
Please apply by submitting a CV and cover letter and please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted via phone.
Learning is the most powerful force for change in the world. More than 20,000 Pearson employees deliver our products and services in nearly 200 countries, all working towards a common purpose – to help everyone achieve their potential through learning. We do that by providing high quality, digital content and learning experiences, as well as assessments and qualifications that help people build their skills and grow with the world around them. We are the world’s leading learning company. Learn more at pearsonplc.com.
- Offered SalaryNot Specified
- Career LevelNot Specified
- Experience2 Years
- INDUSTRYComputer and technology
- QualificationBachelor's Degree
Related Jobs (35)
- Quality Assurance Engineer Jobs at H huex Pvt Ltd in Colombo, Sri Lanka on November 3, 2023 Full-Time
- Quality Assurance Lead Jobs at OREL IT in Colombo, Sri Lanka on November 3, 2023 Full-Time
- Full-stack PHP Developer Jobs at Scopic Software in Sri Lanka on November 3, 2023 Full-Time
- Senior Software Engineer Jobs at QrioMatrix in Colombo, Sri Lanka on November 3, 2023 Full-Time
- Senior Software Engineer Jobs at CreativeHub in Colombo, Sri Lanka on November 3, 2023 Full-Time
- Senior Software Engineer Jobs at Saberion in Colombo, Sri Lanka on November 3, 2023 Full-Time